Sombreros are an importante part of a gentleman’s wardrobe. Hats signify class, style, flare, as well an aid in keeping a gent’s head warm and the sun out of his ojos. The effect of a perfectly placed hat is igual (equal), oftentimes, to the effect of zapatos.
Now there are many types of hats. RealMenRealStyle has provided a strong list of the more popular estilos of hats!
- Your aesthetic and preference: If you’re a period style maven, you might stick with styles that were traditionally found in the era that you’re drawn to.
- The size and shape of your head and face: Diferente hats look better on different people. Jaw lines, facial hair and hair style are all factors to consider when choosing a hat.
- The type of outfit: Tradicionalmente, certain hats go with with certain outfits. In more trendier looks, the lines are a bit more blurred and the reglas (rules) are more relaxed. However, you can never go wrong with the classic looks.
We can examinar these conventions at a later date. For the purposes of this post, yo quiero focus on a few gentlemanly rules for hats. Again, these rules are of a traditional nature pero I believe, as a menswear enthusiast, that it is imperative that we compredemos, fully, the cultured way of wearing headgear.
- A gentleman is expected to remove his hat as he enters a building.
- A gentleman removes his hat when inside except when in “pass through” places such as lobbies, hallways, & elevators in buildings that are open to the public.
- Gentlemen are to remove their hats during the singing and/or playing of the National Anthem.
- Gentlemen are to remove their hat in an elevator and hold it in their hand when a lady enters the lift.
- A gentleman should tip or remove his hat when approaching a lady.
- A gentleman is to remove his hat before sitting at the dinner table. (It should already be removed when he walks in the restaurant.)
Entoñces (so), as we sojourn through estilo, cultura, and vida, it’s important that we understand and respect the traditional values that have laid a foundation for us. As it relates to a gentleman and his hat, it’s no different.
Make sure that you visit the lads at Southern Gents to check out and purchase their hats and other dapper accessories!
Keep it gentlemanly,